Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Introduction


Welcome to my blog. I have started this for a few reasons:

  1. A major research site, which includes a blog with regular posts which are of sufficient quality to be considered for cited sources in others' scholarly activity counts as a "List B" item for tenure/promotion under "scholarly activity." Usually, people in hard sciences don't really get the benefit of this, but I thought I  might give it a try. Hopefully, the quality and quantity will be sufficient to meet this purpose.
  2. Our learning management system, Canvas, has ticked my off one time too many by failing to correctly copy images (graphs, data tables, etc.) from development shell to actual course. It happens completely at random, at least once per semester. Therefore, I intend to have a few posts here which are only a single image/graph/table, maybe with a caption. These are then linked from my quizzes in Canvas. It's a workaround, but better than continuing in a business-as-usual approach, which isn't working.
  3. Often times I have ideas which I simply won't have time to pursue. I'll put some of those here, if I think to do it. Other times, I will reach a dead-end on some project or other, or find that it doesn't quite fit the mold for publishing. 
  4. Likewise, some of what I do is just verifying someone else's work, which is not usually something which can be published or presented elsewhere.
  5. Finally, I am doing this because I enjoy writing my thoughts down. Sometimes, it helps me to clarify my thoughts. Sometimes, it gives me new ideas to pursue.


I hope that this blog fulfills its purpose. I also hope that you enjoy it. If not, it will at least serve its purpose as a repository for images and graphs to be used on my online quizzes and tests. So, there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment